Hurricane Michael has left a devastating impact on so many lives. It will take years for the communities and individuals impacted to recover. We need volunteers, both skilled and unskilled, to help in the recovery from this disaster. The volunteer tasks we need help with are the following:
- Tearing out drywall/flooring - Framing/Finish Carpentry
- Electrical - Plumbing
- HVAC - Insulation
- Dry Wall Hanging, Taping and Mudding
- Siding - Window and Door Installation
- Cabinet Installation - Flooring: Laminate, Vinyl, etc.
- Tile: Ceramic, etc. - Priming/Painting
- Debris Removal - Yard Work
- Chainsaw Work - Fencing
- Ramp Building - Tarping of roofs
- Donation Sorting/Distribution
For more information on how you can volunteer, email Adrienne Pelletier at email@example.com.
October 10, 2018 Hurricane Michael changed the lives dramatically for so many. In the immediate aftermath, all of Catholic Charities’ staff focused on serving the basic needs of those affected by the hurricane. Disaster Distribution Sites were open for 49 days and with the overwhelming support of volunteers, together they were able to serve: 81,000 individuals with essential supplies, 250,000 hot meals, 600 individuals with medical services, $25,000 in gift cards were distributed, 2,000 Thanksgiving meals, and 832 children with Christmas gifts.
In December, Catholic Charities started focusing on the long term recovery needs of those affected by this disaster. In 8 months, over 2,075 individuals were assisted with long term recovery which included major and minor repairs on homes, essential basic supplies, and financial assistance. 224 homes have been assisted with debris removal and clean up. They have a significant waiting list for individuals needing assistance, and the list grows daily! They have also been able to complete: 30 major repair projects ~ 13 major repair projects are currently in progress, 89 major repair projects are awaiting work to begin and 39,171 volunteer hours have supported their efforts to assist our neighbors in need!
We would never have been able to serve so many without the support of all of the parishes, the Knights of Columbus, Catholic Charities USA, Catholic Charities of Florida, and individuals & groups of all faiths from around the country. Thank you to everyone that helped us make a difference!
Catholic Charities is committed to supporting the long term recovery & rebuilding needs of these communities which will take years. We are helping people rebuild their lives one person at a time. Our long term recovery efforts include housing, major & minor repairs, homeless prevention, and clean-up and debris removal. Please know that we need your help now more than ever.
Needed Items for our neighbors:
- Gloves & Dust Masks
- Sunscreen & Bug Spray
- Paper Towels & Toilet Paper
- Baby Items: Food, Diapers & Pull Ups, Wipes, Shampoo, Lotion, Diaper Rash Cream, and New Baby Clothing (0-12 Months)
- Non-Perishable Food Items: Peanut Butter, Jelly, Canned Vegetables, Canned Chicken & Tuna, Canned Soup, Vienna Sausages, Canned Fruit, Mac & Cheese, Ramen Noodles, Spaghetti, Pasta Sauce, Mashed Potatoes, Rice, Oatmeal, and Cereal.
- Plastic & Paper Dishware
- Gift Cards (Home Depot or Lowe's are preferred)
- No Clothing or Household Items Please
Please drop off donated items at one of the office locations below:
Catholic Charities -Pensacola Office
1815 N. 6th Ave, Pensacola, FL 32503
Monday-Friday / 8:30 AM - 4 PM
Catholic Charities -Panama City Office
3128 East 11th Street, Panama City, FL 32401
Monday-Friday / 8:30 AM - 4 PM
We are rebuilding homes, supporting housing and utility needs, and assisting with essential basic supplies. Before a household receives financial and physical assistance in the recovery process, they are screened and an intake application is completed to validate and verify need. The list for those needing hurricane recovery assistance grows every day. Catholic Charities is making a difference — one person at a time.
How can you help?
- Donate online to support disaster recovery at ccnwfl.org or mail a donation to Catholic Charities Disaster Recovery, PO Box 6330, Pensacola, FL 32503
- Volunteer – skilled labor volunteers such as plumbers, carpenters, and electricians, as well as unskilled volunteers to support general recovery needs
- Pray! Please pray for those whose lives have been impacted by Hurricane Michael and the Catholic Charities staff who are assisting individuals as they recover and rebuild.