Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Pensacola-Tallahassee was founded and staffed by the Missionary Servants of the Most Blessed Trinity from its formation in 1928 until 2004.
Founded in 1918, the Missionary Servants, are a congregation of Roman Catholic sisters founded in Holy Trinity, Alabama in 1918. They are an American Congregation who serve throughout the South usually in economically depressed areas. The Trinitarians serve in a variety of ministries, mainly in the fields of social service, education and nursing.
1918 – The Trinitarian sisters arrived in Pensacola to assist Father Hartkoff with caring for and teachng and Creole boys.
1928 – Opening of the Bureau of Catholic Charities in Pensacola to minister to the needs of the poor in the area.
1938 – Services were expanded to include all charity work in the City of Pensacola, which had been administered through the Family Welfare Society. Agency now known as Associated Catholic Charities. Services were rendered regardless of race or creed.
1951 – Agency licensed by the State of Florida as a child placement agency.
1967 – Building dedicated in Pensacola.
1970 – Agency became member of Escambia County United Way.
1971 – Fort Walton Beach office established. Agency became Okaloosa County United Way member in 1977.
1973 – Panama City office established.
1976 – Tallahassee office established. Agency became Leon County United Way member in 1982.
1990 – Satellite office established at St. Thomas the Apostle parish in Quincy.
1991 – Naomi House dedicated in Panama City.
1992 – St. Barnabas House dedicated in Panama City.
1994 – St. Joseph Community Center in Pensacola closed with programs moving to the renamed Family Outreach Center, previously called the Community Outreach Center.
1998 – Agency changes name back to Catholic Charities after almost 30 years as Catholic Social Services. New Ft. Walton Beach Office dedicated.
1999 – Holy Family Home in Tallahassee closed.
1999 – Four separately incorporated regional offices are merged into one corporation, Catholic Charities of Northwest Florida.
2001 – Agency accredited by the Council on Accreditation for Children and Family Services.
2003 – Satellite office in Quincy closes.
2004 – Trinitarians depart Catholic Charities of Northwest Florida. Lay Ministry assumes role as Executive Director.
2005 – Satellite office in Quincy re-opens.
2010 – B.P. Oil Spill significantly impacts programs and services.
2011 – Reaccredited by the Council on Accreditation.